Friday, July 28, 2017

I Choose Peace

Not too long ago, I came across a quote from tinybuddha.com that said, “Today I will not stress over things I can’t control.  Today I choose peace.”

At the time I saw it, I was stressed to the gills for various reasons.  I thought that if I didn’t find some peace soon, then something was going to give as it was affecting my health both mentally and physically.  My mind was in constant chaos, it wouldn’t shut up with the negative chattering, and my spiritual life was taking a major hit.  I had given my power over to others, as well as to stressful situations, and I knew that I had to somehow take back my power for my own sanity and sense of well-being.

Then I saw this post.  I choose peace.  Somehow, just that simple phrase calmed me down, quieted my inner pandemonium, and brought tranquility to my inner spirit.  After that, whenever I was feeling overwhelmed, I would take a deep holy breath, close my eyes, and quietly say either out loud or to myself, “I choose peace.”  Every time I did so, I felt a glorious peaceful feeling embrace my whole being…mind, body, and spirit.

How often do we let others or situations control us to the point where we become so stressed that we can hardly function?  We become so engrossed in the drama of everyday life that we forget who we really are.  We forget that we have the power of the Universe within us.  We are directly connected to the God-Universal-Mind (by whatever name you use) and we have everything we need within to handle whatever comes our way.  Our souls have more power that we could ever know because our souls are a part of God and God is a part of us.  Horace Mann said, “The living soul of man, once conscious of its power, cannot be quelled.”  That’s so true!

It’s in those times that we forget who we really are that we let our ‘humanness’ take over, and that’s so easy to do.  I do this way more times than I care to admit.  But when I do remember to let my heart and soul lead, then I can remember to choose peace.  We can remember that no matter what we’re going through or how badly someone is treating us, if we can come from a space of love and peace in our hearts, we can deal with anything.  Too many of us think that only outside circumstances will bring us peace, but real and lasting peace can only come from within. 

So the next time you find yourself feeling overwhelmed with people, circumstances, or just life in general, stop, take a deep holy breath, say or think “I choose peace,” and say or think it as many times as you need.

“When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others.”  Peace Pilgrim  

Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper July 28, 2017.

1 comment:

Joy Scudder said...

Rev. Karen, excellent advice. We may not choose what occurs in our lives but we can choose how we react. We can choose peace, joy, love. Thank you for another uplifting article.