Saturday, July 22, 2017

Are You Spiritually Advanced?

Ellen Debenport wrote an excellent article recently titled “Are You Spiritually Advanced?”  As I read it, all I could think was, “Wow!  I really resonate with this!”  (Ms. Debenport works at Unity World Headquarters and is also a speaker and author. Website:  ellendebenport.com/blog.)

The point of this wonderful article is that so many people “are hungry to be fed spiritually, but they don’t know where to look anymore.”  She goes on to say how so many of us have read all the books, have gone to numerous workshops, listened to countless speakers, and yet we still want more.  She goes on to say, “They want to learn something new, go deeper, feel challenged and inspired.  They want a greater awareness of their divine identity.  No, not just awareness, but an experience of, an embodiment of the truth of their being.” 

Many of us just believe whatever anyone tells us to believe, and we’re okay with what we already know and don’t want to go any further. For others, we want that inner knowing; we want to grow beyond the traditional and/or conventional religious/spiritual knowledge to discover the wisdom of the Universe.  We’re having our own inner conversations with God (by whatever name you use) and we’re listening to that inner guidance that’s always based on pure, unconditional, perfect love.  But we want to go further and deeper into a spirituality that goes beyond the ordinary.  To be clear, no matter what path someone is on, it’s all okay.  None are better or worse than the other; it’s just where we are at the time. 

We’re constantly working on ourselves to become better human and spiritual beings and to be the best that we can be.  We understand our connectedness and that what we do to another, we do to ourselves.  We continue to keep an open mind because we never know where or how that wisdom and knowledge may appear to us.  We know that unconditional love for all really is the answer.

Oprah Winfrey once asked actor Sean Penn if he believed in God and he replied, “I’m okay with the mystery of it all.”  I almost envy him with his simple belief.  But I can’t be okay with just the mystery of it all.  I’m spiritually wired to want to know more, I live my spirituality, and I want to continue to learn so that I can help others as well.

Rumi said, “God writes spiritual mysteries on our hearts where they wait silently for discovery.”  And Albert Einstein stated, “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.”  

Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper July 21, 2017.

Postscript:  I'd like to clarify the "Are You Spiritually Advanced" title of both Ellen's and my post.  I can't speak for Ellen, but for me, it was not meant to mean that anyone was better than anyone else, which I mentioned in my essay above.  And it doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is more 'advanced' in an arrogant 'I know more than you know' kind of way.  The gist of both my and Ellen's articles is that we had come to the point where it seems that everything we read, the workshops we attend, and so on, tend to be the same, but different information, and we really want to go beyond what we have already learned and know.  

As she said in her article, "I hesitate to use the term "advanced" because you've heard me argue there are no advanced spiritual principles.  We just keep using the same ones over and over in new situations." 

If you want to read more from Ellen, please go to:  http://ellendebenport.com/blog.asp.  

No comments: