Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Chattering Mind

I’m a huge fan of actor Jim Carrey, who’s been on a serious spiritual journey.  I enjoy listening to his talks on YouTube and have learned a lot from him.  Recently, I was listening to a snippet of one of his talks about our chattering minds.  He mentioned specifically how he’ll have these constant conversations with people in his mind and they’re not even there at that moment.  I found myself thinking, “Wow!  Jim Carrey does that, too?!?” 

How many of us do this on a regular basis?  I know I do, especially if someone is treating me badly.  We also can go over and over certain events that have happened.  Usually these thoughts are negative.  In our minds, we argue, we fight, we stick up for ourselves when we didn’t in person, and on and on it goes.  Sometimes these thoughts are of the future about things that haven’t even happened, and more than likely won’t happen.  I know when my mind gets to chattering like this, even I get tired of hearing myself think those same repeated thoughts.   

Our thoughts are powerful and can even affect our minds and bodies with either good or ill health.  Negative thinking can also affect what we believe and the way we perceive people and things around us.  It’s not only what we think about others that matters, but what we think about ourselves.  Buddha said, “Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts.”

Buddha also said, “Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.”  Is it easy to change our negative thinking so that we can have peace of mind?  Hardly.  I’m known as a pretty positive thinking person, but I struggle with my thoughts just like everyone else.  Yet I know the key is to change those negative thoughts into something positive even if I have to force myself to do so. 

If I find myself thinking negatively, I’ll sometimes yell “STOP!” in my mind.  I then replace it with a positive thought or phrase such as “Every moment of every day, I’m getting better and better!”  If the thought is about another person, I’ll try, “Sending love and light.”  I’ll even sing happy and/or loving songs either out loud or to myself.  When we think positively, it puts us in a happier frame of mind and makes us feel a whole lot better physically, mentally, and spiritually. 

The Positivity Pledge states, “I shall no longer allow negative thoughts or feelings to drain me of my energy.  Instead, I shall focus on all the good that is in my life.  I will think it, feel it, and speak it.  By doing so, I will send out vibes of positive energy into the world and I shall be grateful for all the wonderful things it will attract into my life.”  www.mindfulwishes.com

“If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought.” Peace Pilgrim


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper April 28, 2017.

No comments: