Friday, February 3, 2017

Never Give Up Hope

I admit it.  I enjoy Facebook.  I’ve connected with old friends, as well as made new friends from all over the world.  It used to be that the majority of the posts I saw on my stream were spiritual and inspirational.  Now?  Not so much.  The majority of the posts I see are now political.  I don’t mind the political as long as they inform and are from legitimate sources.

I’m also seeing countless posts about the millions of people, not only from our country, but from all over the world who are uniting and coming together for the common cause of embracing each other with love, peace, and harmony.  We’re done with the hate, bigotry, and ignorance that are separating people. 

What’s sad and heart-breaking is to see all the comments from people, some I know and others I don’t, who are expressing their fears and hopelessness at seeing what is occurring because of politics.  In fact, some are living in complete terror and it doesn’t matter their color, race, religion, politics, nationality, gender, etc.  One friend commented that she gets up with less and less hope, that she goes to bed feeling defeated, and that this is not the country she loves and was so proud of.  Most people really do love and care for our country and its people.  And then there are those who could care less about others as long as it doesn’t affect them.  Until it does. 

We need to uplift others with love and hope, but there are times that even I feel discouraged and hopeless.  It is during these times that I need to get quiet, go within, listen to spirit, and be reminded of who we really are.  We are messengers of light, love, and peace and we need to continue to try to lift people up and to encourage each other to never give up.  There’s always hope.

As for Facebook, there are all kinds of posts that show people coming together in spite of the illusions of any differences.  They warm my heart and re-fuel my hope.  I’ve seen numerous videos and posts that have had me bawling a river of tears because of the love and kindness people are showing towards each other.  We’re coming together to be supportive and encouraging, and we’re reminding each other that we really are one humanity regardless of what we look like, what we do, or where we live.

Maya Angelou said, “Love recognizes no barriers.  It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”  Martin Luther King, Jr. declared, “Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.  Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it.  Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.”  And for those who follow Jesus’ teachings, he stated, “As I have loved you, so also you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper February 3, 2017.

No comments: