Saturday, October 22, 2016

Love of Nature

Last weekend, I went to visit my brother in northern Ohio.  He has a really nice cottage home right within a State Park Forest and his property is surrounded by nature.  Up the hill from his house is a bike trail that goes for miles through the forest.  While I was there, I took a walk on the trail that took me up into the small mountain.  I was in heaven.

I love nature and it can bring me feelings of peace and contentment like nothing else.  Breathing in her magnificent fragrances, listening to her beautiful melodies, and seeing the spectacular scenery was like being in paradise.  My dream has always been to have a place in the mountains or at least surrounded by acres of trees where I can be embraced by Mother Nature’s nurturing peacefulness.  Whether or not I’ll ever see that dream come true is up to the Universe.

While I was walking the trail, I communed with my inner Spirit and we had a nice conversation.  I told her my dreams and wishes and she listened with love and patience.  I just cannot begin to tell you how connected I felt to our beautiful Mother Earth and all of life.  I knew we were one and I could feel her loving energy rise through my feet to the top of my head and fill my heart with gratefulness.

At one point as I came around a curve, a stunning groundhog scrambled to the safety of a large fallen tree.  I don’t know who scared who worse. 

A few minutes later as I was deep in thought, I suddenly heard some kind of whirling coming towards me.  My first thought was that a very large bird was flying right at me while frantically flapping its wings.  I looked up and here came a human being on a mountain bike and I had just enough time to get off the path to let him go by as we quickly exchanged greetings.

I continued walking and didn’t want to stop, but parts of the forest were getting dark.  I knew I didn’t want to be out where I couldn’t see, so I was conflicted about whether I should keep going and hope that the path brought me back to my brother’s, or if I should turn around and head back the way I came.  While these thoughts crossed my mind, the path suddenly turned down the mountain away from my brother’s house, so I knew I needed to turn and head back.

As I came closer to my brother’s place, I really wished I could just stay out in the forest close to nature, communing with all the spectacular life that she embraced, but it was getting late and I knew my family would be worried if I stayed out much longer.

Nature holds so much life and energy and Mother Nature knows what she’s doing when she provides us everything we need to live.  It’s sad that there are so many who take her for granted and are destroying so much of this glorious planet that we call home.  Forests and woods are being leveled, oil and other sources of energy are continuously sucked out of her belly, the air she provides is constantly filled with pollution, and I could go on.  I think Mother Earth deserves so much better.  Besides, once we destroy our Mother, there is no other.

There are many others like me who love to get out into nature.  We know her love and her power and we have nothing but respect for her.  We do our part as we are able to take care of her.  The earth is a huge ball of energy that is made of the very same ‘stuff’ as we are.  When we hurt her, we are only hurting ourselves.

If you’re feeling stressed, depressed, not well, etc., try connecting to Mother Earth.  Feel her presence and her power within you as she can be very healing.  Walk in the woods, lie in the grass, or hug a tree.  Commune with Mother Earth and the God of your understanding.  You’d be amazed at how much better you’ll feel. 

Thich Nhat Hanh said, “You carry Mother Earth within you.  She is not outside of you.  Mother Earth is not just your environment in that insight of inter-being.  It is possible to have real communication with the earth, which is the highest form of prayer.” 

And Chief Seattle stated, “This we know.  The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth.  All things are connected like the blood which unites one family.  All things are connected.”


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper October 21, 2016.

3 comments:

Common Sense Gal said...

Really lovely and heartfelt article, Karen. Many years ago when I first read about Findhorn Community in Scotland, I felt they truly were living in harmony with Mother Earth and nature. Their garden produced an amazing bounty that had never been witnessed prior to that time with size and quality. David Spangler, Dorothy McClean and Eileen & Peter Caddy had amazing experiences communing with nature! Thank you for sharing about the important of our earth mother and nature!

Joy Scudder said...

Beautifully written, Karen. So many people have lost touch with Mother Nature. We can restore our balance with a walk in Nature.

Astrologer Shivashankara said...

I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often Spiritual Healings in Bangalore | Spiritual Healers in Bangalore