Saturday, August 20, 2016

World Peace

“I contribute to a world of peace through the power of my word.  As individuals, we can each foster peace in our world.  I can do something right now to contribute to greater peace:  I can, through the power of my spoken word, extend a blessing to everyone in my awareness, even those I may consider my ‘enemy.’  The act of blessing creates positive energy that dissolves negative thoughts and feelings.  The blessing ripples out as a vibration of healing love to my community and the world.  My words not only create my life, they can also create peace – both within me and within others.  Therefore, I imbue my words with loving intention and share blessings that inspire and encourage others.  In this way, I help bring harmony to each interaction and peace to the world.”  (Printed from “The Daily Word,” a Unity Publication.)

“Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.  O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.”  (The “Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi,” also known as the “Peace Prayer” or “Make Me an Instrument of Your Peace.”  The prayer is attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, but in reality, no one knows who actually authored this beautiful poem.)

“Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me.  Let there be peace on earth, the peace that was meant to be.  With God as Creator, family all are we.  Let us walk with each other, in perfect harmony.  Let peace begin with me; let this be the moment now.  With every step I take, let this be my solemn vow…to take each moment and live each moment in peace eternally.  Let there be peace on Earth, and let it begin with me!”  (Original lyrics by Sy Miller and Jill Jackson; the above is the Unity version.)

And then, of course, there is the song by the legendary John Lennon that says, “All we are saying, is give peace a chance.”  (“Give Peace a Chance.”)

We’re pretty good about praying for peace and writing poems and songs about peace, but when it comes to actually striving for peace, we still have a lot of work to do.  And yet, there are billions of people all over the planet who are doing so many good things to try to bring peace to the world!  We just don’t hear about them!  I wish we did because it would continue to give people a lot more hope!

The idea of world peace seems so overwhelming, but I truly believe that one day, we will achieve it if we can just keep focusing on that goal!  How can we contribute to manifesting world peace?  We start by finding peace within ourselves.  The Dalai Lama said, “World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think, the manifestation of human compassion.”

Peace Pilgrim stated, “The way of peace is the way of love. Love is the greatest power on earth. It conquers all things.”  She also said, “This is the way of peace: Overcome evil with good, falsehood with truth, and hatred with love.” 

You would think that with all the religions in the world that there would be world peace by now, and yet most of our religions are what’s keeping us separated!  Religions should be coming together and leading the way to world peace!  We should be practicing what Jesus and all our other great Spiritual Masters taught us, which is to love one another as well as ourselves, to have compassion, and to care for our fellow beings on this beautiful planet we call Mother Earth!  Don’t know where to begin?  We can begin by taking to heart the words of the writings, poem, and lyrics above.  Start with yourself and then spread the love, one person at a time.  As Gandhi said, we need to be the change we wish to see in the world.  It begins with each of us individually and if enough of us join the collective consciousness of world peace, we might just actually achieve it!

“You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one.”   John Lennon 


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper August 19, 2016.

1 comment:

Common Sense Gal said...

This article was a thoughtful contribution, Karen. Thank you for sharing thoughts that make a difference. I also like what Jimmi Hendrix and others have said: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.