Saturday, August 13, 2016

Symptoms of a Spiritual Awakening

We have been on the verge of a grand spiritual awakening for many years now, and as we move into the future, it seems like the awakening is happening at a faster and faster pace.  You can find countless articles on the Internet written by various authors who add their own beliefs and views on this particular topic.  Many of the symptoms may be considered ‘standard’ for everyone, but everyone experiences these standards in different ways. 

I found one posting on Facebook that listed twelve of the many symptoms people may experience on their path to spiritual awakening, and I discovered that I and many others have become personally familiar with them.  I can only share my own experiences as I go through each of these symptoms, and I’d like to express them with you here.

The first is an increased tendency to let things happen rather than make them happen.  One thing I’ve learned is that we cannot always control what happens to us and trying to do so only makes us suffer.  What I try to do is to release my attachments to the outcomes, and just go with the flow.

Frequent attacks of smiling.  I’ve always been a chronic smiler all my life.  When we learn the ‘secrets’ of the Universe and how things work, we learn not to take life so seriously; therefore, we have more to smile about.  Besides, smiling feels good, makes others feel good, and it does marvelous things to our bodies and brains.

Feelings of being connected with others and nature.  When we learn our connection to everyone and everything in the Universe, we feel a Divine connection with people, animals, nature, and all of life.  We know that we’re all one with each other and that we all have the Divine within us.

Frequent overwhelming episodes of appreciation.  Being grateful for everything we have and for life itself causes us to have even more feelings of appreciation.  We count our blessings and look for the good in everyone and everything. 

A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than from fears based on past experience.  We learn that fear is an illusion and we learn to live more in the moment.  If we think about things that happened in the past that involved fear, then it’s so easy to let that same fear consume us in the present moment, and it may keep us from accomplishing our desires and dreams.

An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.  We find the little things to enjoy in life, and all those little things add up to bigger and bigger things.  Life is meant to be enjoyed.

A loss of ability to worry.  For the most part, I’m not a worrier, though I do have my moments.  What’s going to happen is going to happen and all the worrying in the world isn’t going to change a thing.  I try to think positive and to be optimistic.  If we can live in the moment without thoughts of the past or future, then there’s usually no need to worry.

A loss of interest in conflict.  Conflict is usually a disagreement in beliefs.  I don’t like conflict and have no interest in participating in it.

A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.  We never know what another is going through or why they’re making the decisions they are making.  Everyone has a story.

A loss of interest in judging others.  Whenever I start to judge someone, Spirit gives me a loving, spiritual smack on the back of the head and reminds me that it’s not my job to judge. 

A loss of interest in judging self.   It’s a little harder not to judge ourselves.  I can be pretty hard on myself as I tend to be a perfectionist.  We need to learn to love ourselves even when we make mistakes or don’t live up to our expectations of the way we think we should be.
 
Gaining the ability to love without expecting anything in return.  When we can go through all the above, we then realize it really is all about the love, not only for others, but for ourselves!  We give our love unconditionally without wanting anything in return.

We are all evolving and growing in this magnificent thing we call life!  Like a caterpillar in a cocoon, many of us are beginning to emerge into the magnificent butterflies we were meant to be, and everyone grows and transforms at their own pace.  When we open our hearts and minds to all that is possible, we will be amazed at what life has in store for us!

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi  

Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper August 12, 2016.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spiritual connection is root of all healing
www.bellofpeace gede prama org

Anonymous said...

Spiritual connection is root of all healing
www.bellofpeace gede prama org