Friday, July 8, 2016

Filling Your Well of Love

Most of you know that I write a lot about love; loving others and loving ourselves as well, and I’m going to keep writing about it because we still have a lot of work to do, not just on ourselves, but in the world. 

I’m constantly working on myself to be more loving, kind, and compassionate, and I’m going to be doing so until the day I leave this planet.  Of course, I still get angry, upset, and sad, and I have those days when it feels like the world is against me.  But even on my worst days, I try to keep a good attitude and keep my happy face on as I don’t want to pass my bad day on to others.  I want to lift people up; not tear them down.

Some may say I’m not being real or authentic.  This is my being authentic.  Part of my authenticity means not causing harm to others.  We never know what other people are going through and I don’t want to be responsible for saying that one word or committing that one action that may make someone else have a really bad day or even destroys someone’s life. 

As you know, there’s a lot of chaos on the planet.  Hate, anger, and violence, which are all byproducts of fear, dominate the news all over the world.  Many people think the answer is more of the same.  Einstein said, "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."  Millions of people all over the earth are breaking the chains of darkness and are working towards bringing love, light, and peace to all.  More would like to do so, but they don’t know where to start.  Gandhi said “You must be the change you want to see in the world.”  And as Michael Jackson sang, “I'm starting with the man in the mirror.  I'm asking him to change his ways.  And no message could have been any clearer.  If you want to make the world a better place…  Take a look at yourself, and then make a change.”

In order to change the world, we need to work on ourselves.  If we don’t have our wells of love overflowing, then we’re not going to have the love to give to others.  People tend to treat others the same way they feel about themselves, and we’re especially seeing this, not only in those around us, but in a lot of people who have been in the news.  If you truly and unconditionally loved yourself, you would never even think about harming yourself or anyone else!  Begin with you.  As you learn to love yourself unconditionally, your heart will open so far and wide that you can’t help but spread the love to those around you.  You do so one person at a time and those one persons can add up to a lot of people!  You can also help fill your well by committing random acts of kindness to help others feel loved and appreciated.  When you make others feel good, it helps yourself to feel good!

Matt Kahn wrote an excellent book called “Whatever Arises, Love That – A Love Revolution That Begins with You,” and I would highly suggest reading it.  He included the following words that have such a profound effect that I would recommend taking them to heart.

“When I’m sad, I deserve more love, not less.  When I’m angry, I deserve more love, not less. When I’m frustrated, I deserve more love not less.  Whenever I’m hurt, heartbroken, ashamed, or feeling guilty, I deserve more love, not less.

Even when I’m embarrassed by my actions, I deserve more love, not less.  Equally so, when I’m proud of myself, I deserve more love, not less.  No matter how I feel, I deserve more love not less.  Despite what I think, I deserve more love, not less.

No matter the past that I’ve survived, I deserve more love, not less.  No matter what remains up ahead, I deserve more love, not less.  On my worst day, I deserve more love, not less.

Even when life seems cruel and confusing, I deserve more love, not less.  When no one is here to give me what I need, I deserve more love, not less.  In remembering the greatest way I can serve the world, I deserve more love, not less.

No matter what I’m able to accept, whomever I cannot forgive, or whatever I’m unable to love for whatever reason, I deserve more love, not less.”

Kahn also wrote, “One loving embrace at a time, you become a living testimony of just how powerful, aligned, inspired, and happy you have always been destined to be.”


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper July 8, 2016.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this article, Karen!