Friday, July 10, 2015

The Soul of Our Being

What is the soul?  Where is the soul?  Where did the soul come from?  These are the questions of the ages and many have been trying to find the answers.  While listening to an Oprah Winfrey video where she asks about a dozen spiritual leaders what they thought the soul was, she received a dozen different, but same answers.  The answers themselves were different, but the essence of the answers were the same. 

The question of the soul is one that has been eluding people throughout history.  We may think we know what it is, and we have our beliefs about what it is, but do we really, really know exactly?  Is there 100% proof?  Has anyone ever seen the soul? 

Dictionary.reference states that the soul is “the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part; or the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or as believed to survive death and be subject to happiness or misery in a life to come.”

When researching the term ‘soul’ when it is referred in the Bible and religions, there were so many different explanations that I couldn’t even begin to try to write about them here.  But, today, most people would describe the soul as a spirit or energy found within that lives on forever. 

Many of us understand who and what the soul is on a spiritual level, but cannot put it into human terms.  We know and believe we have a soul, but to really explain it is beyond our comprehension.  I totally believe that both humans and animals have souls.  I also believe that the soul is that divine spark of God (or the God of your understanding; call it what you will) that is within each of us.  It is that direct connection that each of us has with the Source of our being. 

The big question is how do the souls get into our bodies?  Some believe that there are many souls on the other side (some call it Heaven) waiting to inhabit our earthly bodies.  The Bible says “Let US make mankind in OUR imagine.”  Who is US and who is OUR?  Could the US and OUR mean other souls?  No one can say for sure.

I like to use the analogy of the ocean.  Think of the Supreme Being as the ocean, and the soul is a drop of the ocean that is in each and every one of us.  We have the illusion of separateness, but we’re still part of the ocean.  That means we have the illusion of being separate from Source, but we are still directly connected to Source as well as with each other. 

I’ve ready many afterlife and near death experience books and they are a wealth of information about the soul, how we got here, and where we go when we leave.  One of the best books I have read is “The Afterlife of Billy Fingers” written by Annie Kagan, and I would highly recommend reading it.

Billy Fingers says, “Your soul never incarnates completely.  While you’re in a body, you also exist in higher dimensions.  Reaching beyond the physical self is what the spiritual search is about.”   Billy also says, “Every soul is unique in beautiful says.  Some are further along the path than others, and that’s okay.” 

While searching the internet, I found this great quote, which I think at least partially sums up what the soul is about:  “I am made of energy. I will always exist. Whatever happens in this life is a vehicle to move me along, not a beginning or an end. No matter what the ego tells me. No matter what the body feels. Those are merely experiences that I need to feel to achieve what I came here to do, be, and experience. On some level, I already know everything that needs to be known. I don’t remember it all right now because it would prevent me from the experience of the here and now. When I seek my truth, it will come back to me. There is nothing to fear. There is infinite love here. All that is, glows divinely from within me.”  Unknown

Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper July 10, 2015.

1 comment:

Sharon Warren said...

Great article, Karen, on an important topic. Oprah's Super Soul Sunday has also included questions to her guests on "What is the soul" and questions related to our spiritual God essence. Wish there was more TV programming like OWN network.