Saturday, April 4, 2015

Love Can Build a Bridge

Whenever I write an article, I really do try to put my whole heart and soul into trying to find a topic that is inspiring and makes people think.  But sometimes, my mind is blank and I have to wait until that Spiritual light bulb goes off in my mind. This was such a time.  After being on Facebook and seeing so many articles about the hate and bigotry that is being propagated by so many, particularly from some (not all) in the religious and political realms, I kept coming back to the question…why can’t we all just love one another and get along?  It’s what all the great spiritual masters taught from Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed, Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, and so many more.  That was their main message!  To love one another!  And yet that’s not what we’re seeing from so many whether they’re politicians, religious leaders, those in the media, or others! 

While meditating on the word ‘love,’ I remembered a song that was sung by The Judds that touches my heart every time I hear it and causes tears to flow down my cheeks.  The title is “Love Will Build a Bridge” and the lyrics go like this:

“I'd gladly walk across the desert, With no shoes upon my feet, To share with you the last bite
of bread I had to eat.  I would swim out to save you, In your sea of broken dreams, When all your hopes are sinkin', Let me show you what love means.

I would whisper love so loudly, Every heart could understand, That love and only love, Can join the tribes of man.  I would give my heart's desire, So that you might see, The first step is to realize, That it all begins with you and me.

When we stand together, It's our finest hour, We can do anything, anything, Keep believin' in the power.

Love can build a bridge, Between your heart and mine, Love can build a bridge, Don't you think it's time? Don't you think it's time?  Love and only love.  Love and only love.” 

What if….?  What if we could build bridges of love between all people regardless of color, race, religion, politics, gender, sexual preference, cultures, countries, and nations?  What if we could focus on what we all have in common instead of any perceived differences?  What if all ministers and religious leaders from all religions spoke only of unconditional love from their stages and from media sources?  What if all politicians would only make laws that were based on the foundation of love and brought people together instead of separating them and legalizing hate?  Can you imagine? 

Yes, when we see what’s in the media nowadays, it’s hard to imagine that anything like this could manifest since the media only propagates the negative (though there are many stations that do have positive programming).  But look beyond the standard media!  Get on-line and search for sites that communicate good stories!  Stories of people coming together to be of service, doing good in the world, and actually living the teachings of their spiritual masters, without judgment, condemnation, hate, or bigotry!  It’s happening!  All over the world it is happening!  Maybe it’s happening in your community!  Maybe YOU are one of those who is spreading the love! 

Please don’t give up on humanity!  There are many of us who still have hope, who are working at uniting people with love, compassion, kindness, and oneness!  Look around!  Better yet, BE one of those people!

I know the word ‘love’ can be such a cliché sometimes, but it really is so much more than the dictionary definition.  The love of God, the Universe, Spirit, Life, or whatever you choose to call it, is all embracing, all inclusive, and never judges, condemns, or separates.  Human beings are limited in their terminology to describe what this magnificent and all encompassing word really means.  Know that this love is in everyone and everything and no one is excluded.

Rumi said that “Love is a bridge between you and everything.”  Are you a bridge builder of love?  I know…sounds corny…but personally, I am choosing to work at building those bridges.  Will you join me? 

(“Love Can Build a Bridge,” written by Paul Overstreet, John Jarvis, Naomi Judd, Naomi Ellen Judd, Paul Lester Overstreet, ©Scarlet Moon Music Inc., Inspector Barlow Music, Words and Music ©O.B.O. Scarlet Moon Music, Mike Curb Music)

Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper April 3, 2015.


2 comments:

Joy Scudder said...

Excellent, Karen. I have considered leaving Facebook for a while. The negativity can be 'catching'; even the humor is at someone's expense and I am just as guilty as the next person. Thank you for the reminder of "love".

Sharon Warren said...

Beautiful and meaningful article, Karen. Rumi is one of my favorites and that is a perfect quote for this contribution.