Saturday, March 28, 2015

Are You Listening?

Now that the weather is starting to get nice, I decided to start my walking routine again.  I love being out in the fresh air among nature!  The other day, I was enjoying my walk when all of a sudden, my foot went off the side of the newly paved road and down I went, badly twisting my ankle and scraping my knee and finger.  Lying on the road, more embarrassed than anything, I jumped back up and tried to move like nothing happened hoping that no one saw me go down. 

Afterwards, I asked Spirit why that happened and what I heard was, “Karen, when someone knocks you down, you have to keep getting back up.  You need to stand up for yourself and not let anyone treat you less than you deserve.”  Immediately I thought, “You couldn’t have just told me that without my getting laid out flat on the road?!?!” 

Many of us have those conversations.  Some say we’re communicating with God.  We may call it the Universe, Spirit, Life, Angels, our Higher Self…it doesn’t matter the name we give to it or the gender.  It’s that loving inner voice that quietly speaks to us, guides us, and is always there with us.  There are some who don’t believe anyone communicates with us in a spiritual or mystical way, and that’s okay. 

I was first made aware of that voice when I was in my mid 20’s.  It was probably always with me, but I may have just never listened.  At first, I wasn’t sure what that voice was or who it was coming from.  As I began a serious spiritual journey, I learned that voice was from my soul and that if I listened, she would never steer me wrong.  It’s only when I don’t listen that I get myself into trouble.

One of the first times the voice became very clear to me was when I lived in Hollywood, California, and stopped into a Christian bookstore where I met two transsexuals.  I had never met anyone who was transsexual before so I was kind of freaking out and was filled with judgment.  Suddenly, I heard the words, “Karen, these are my children and I love them just as much as any of my children.”  I wasn’t sure where that voice came from, but I heard it loud and clear.

It took some years and gaining more spiritual wisdom before I fully understood this voice, but I learned to listen to her and trust that she always had my best interests at heart, as well as the best interests of others.  Whenever I found myself judging someone, this voice would gently tell me that there was always a bigger picture and that I should instead feel love and compassion for the person.  If I’m in a hurry and feeling impatient, the voice speaks words to calm me down and to know that I should never question delays because they could be saving me from harm on down the road.  And when I’m hard on myself, the voice sets me straight in reminding me who I really am and that I need to lighten up and show love and compassion to myself as well.

The voice has also saved me from harm many times.  I remember driving on a country road and the voice told me to slow down and get ready to stop.  Sure enough, around the curve was a deer standing in the middle of the road and the voice saved me from hitting her.  Another time, I was coming up on a traffic light.  The left turn light was green, yet the voice warned me to stop.  Of course, I argued saying I had the green light.  I was told again to stop, so I did.  Just then, a semi-truck went through the red light in the one direction and a car went through in the other direction.  If I had gone through, I would have been sandwiched and probably killed.  Things like this have happened too many times to mention.

There are some who might think I’ve gone bonkers and that God or whomever no longer communicates with people because they believe it only happened in Biblical times.  But I believe this voice speaks to us today as well.  How do we know if it’s the voice of God?  We know when the words are uplifting and spoken only with unconditional love.  If the words are spoken with hate or bringing someone down, then it is not of God. 

Amit Ray stated, “There is a God part in you. The consciousness. The pure Self. Learn to listen to the voice of that Power.”   That voice will always be with you and guiding you.  Are you listening? 

Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper March 27, 2015.

No comments: