Saturday, January 17, 2015

Awaken Your Heart

“Love is life’s great secret.  It transcends fear and isolation, guiding you beyond the shadows of sentiment, to the shores of boundless being.  Love endures not from words or feelings alone, but from actions that carry you beyond the interests of separate self, beyond reason or motive, to embrace all people, things, and circumstances.  Loving-kindness begins in little ways, in moments of insight and humility, in your soul’s longing for love’s communion, which waits just on the other side of your heart’s doorway.  You are not here to contact your higher self; you are here to become it.” 

The above was from one of my favorite authors, Dan Millman, in his book “Everyday Enlightenment:  The Twelve Gateways to Personal Growth,” which I highly recommend reading.

We talk a lot about love, but do we really know what love is?  I’m talking about the pure, unconditional, perfect love of God / Spirit / Universe / Life itself!  Many people will say they love certain people, but do they really?  Yes, we do to a certain extent.  But many of those times, we put conditions on that love.  “I will love you if….”  Those “if’s” usually mean getting something in return even if it is just that person loving us back.  Unconditional love is loving someone without expecting anything in return.  Easy?  It should be, but we humans make it very difficult. 

Many of those conditions we put on our love include needing the person to think like we do, look like we do, believe the way we do, and fit our expectations of the way we think they should be, do, and act.  If any of these don’t meet our expectations, then that love becomes conditional.  Loving unconditionally, the way God loves us, means loving and accepting someone just as they are. 

Most important of all, we do not love ourselves unconditionally.  I know that’s a tough one for me, though I’ve been learning more and more just how extremely important that is because until we can love ourselves unconditionally, we cannot love others unconditionally.

There are times when I feel so much unconditional love for everyone and everything in the world that I feel I could just burst wide open in a state of loving bliss!  And then there are other times that feel like I could turn my back on all of humanity because of all the human nonsense I see and hear.  At least I know that feeling of loving bliss and it gives me something to strive for more and more.

One thing that helps me is to do random acts of kindness for anyone and everyone I encounter.  For it is when I am giving that love that I feel that I am the most loving, not only towards others, but towards myself.  We feel good when we help others to feel good.  When we lift others up, we lift up ourselves.  And that is a wonderful feeling!

It’s time that we awaken our hearts to know that we are loved by God beyond measure!  We are the best there is and it has nothing to do with anyone else!  We were created to be magnificent, beautiful, fabulous, and miraculous beings!  Genesis 1:26 says “Let us make mankind in our image and in our likeness.”  Not in a physical sense, but in the essence of the All-That-Is.  Do you know how glorious and extraordinary that makes us?  Now if we could just believe it and live it! 

I’ve shared with you one of my favorite quotes by Marianne Williamson before, but I’d like to share it with you again, and if you will, really take the words into your heart.  “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” 

Again, as it says in the quote by Dan Millman, “You are not here to contact your higher self; you are here to become it.”  All we need to do is awaken our hearts, believe it, and it is so.


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper January 16, 2015.

2 comments:

Joy Scudder said...

" When we lift others up, we lift up ourselves." In serving others we serve ourselves and therein lies true happiness. Thank you, Rev. Karen for your words which lift me up.

brad/www.spiritualhealingsource.com said...

this is quite a sandwich, m'love, Dan and Marianne for the bread, but you provided a thick wad of thinly sliced, easily digestible and tasty filling ...POWERFUL - loved it, love you !!!

brad cullen