Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Inner Voice of Spirit

Life sure is an adventure!  From the time we are born when we take our first breath, we are shot out of the starting gate and we keep going until we reach that finish line and take our last breath.  Everything in between is a journey to discovering who we really are and why we are here.  For many of us, those lessons come easily.  For others, we may leave this earth plane never knowing.  It is only when we become aware of who we really are that we learn that life is the question and we are the answer!  Jesus said that the kingdom of heaven is within, and when we go silently within, into our minds, our hearts, and our souls, we can hear that still, quiet voice of Spirit talking to us and it will never steer us wrong. 

Over the years, I’ve learned to listen to that inner voice of Spirit (or the God of your understanding), and when I listen, it gives me words of love, guidance, encouragement, comfort, and wisdom.  That inner voice has even kept me safe from harm so many times.  It’s given me words to say to others in their time of need.  And when I speak and/or write, it guides me to say and write whatever needs to be said at the time. 

Besides speaking to you, Spirit can and does give you signs.  After I moved here, I joined the wonderful organization called Toastmasters so that I could learn to speak in front of a crowd.  My first few times speaking at Toastmasters, and in the first couple of contests I entered, I was so nervous that I had to grip my hands together so that people wouldn’t see them shaking.  Before my first big contest, I was a nervous wreck.  While driving on the way to the contest, I was freaking out and asked Spirit for some kind of sign that everything was going to be okay.  At that very second, I happened to look up in the sky, and I saw a cloud in the shape of a beautiful angel!  It only lasted a few seconds, so if I had not have looked up when I did, I would have missed her.  I also heard the words within, “Just do the best you can and have fun!  Leave the rest up to me!”  It was then that I knew everything was going to be okay no matter the outcome.  I went on to the contest and won!  Remembering the angel’s message, I also went on to several other contests and made it to the District level winning third place.

It is said that the number one fear people have is the fear of public speaking.  My theory is that people don’t fear speaking so much as they fear what people will think of them while they’re speaking.  If someone knew their talk would be wonderful, they wouldn’t worry so much.  Besides, Terry Cole Whittaker said, “What other people think of me is none of my business.”  In the beginning, I would use notes and tended to rely on those notes.  Then many years ago, I went to hear Wayne Dyer speak and he said he used notes in the beginning, too.  But then he said something that taught me a great lesson.  We need to trust that what’s meant to be said will be said, and what isn’t meant to be said will be left out.  We need to trust that Spirit will speak through us and people will hear what they are meant to hear.  What a great concept and one I use to this day!  That doesn’t mean that I still don’t beat myself up sometimes wishing I had said or not said something (and this includes my writings), but when I do, Spirit will give me a loving spiritual smack on the back of my head and gently say, “Stop it!  It’s over!  Let it go!” 

There are many people who don’t believe that Spirit/God (or whoever you believe that voice to be) doesn’t speak to us directly, and that’s okay.  For those of us who do, it’s so reassuring to believe that something greater, which is also within us, is in charge.  We can connect to Spirit’s voice by praying, meditating, communing with nature, listening, and so much more.

We are so much greater than we believe we are!  As Neale Donald Walsh stated, “You think of yourselves as humans searching for a spiritual awakening, when in fact you are spiritual beings attempting to cope with a human awakening. Seeing yourselves from the perspective of the Spirit within will help you to remember why you came here and what you came here to do.” 


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper October 3, 2014.
.

No comments: