Saturday, September 27, 2014

Be the Love

Gandhi said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”  I say, “Be the LOVE you wish to see in the world!”

Those who know me, have read my articles, or have heard me speak, know that I am very passionate about love…unconditional love for all beings regardless of color, race, religion, politics, culture, or sexual preference.  My favorite verses from Jesus that has become one of my mantras is, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”  I quote this verse often, especially in my articles, because so many people still aren’t getting it.  Love, unconditional love for all, is really what it’s all about.  It’s what all the great Spiritual Masters from Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, and countless others throughout history and today teach.  LOVE ONE ANOTHER!  No exceptions are mentioned!

Granted, this doesn’t mean that you have to agree with someone else’s beliefs or condone their behavior.  People still need to be held accountable for their actions, especially when they hurt others either through those actions or with their words.  Rather than judge, I try to see that innocent child they were when they were born.  I try to see that Divine Spark that is within every single being on earth.  The Bible says that we were all made in God’s image; not just some of us. Somewhere along the way, people were taught to hate and hate is a learned behavior; it is NOT who we are!   When people attack others and speak words of hate or commit acts of hatred, then I know that they are coming from a place of fear.  Hate is only a by-product of fear.  Marianne Williamson said, “Love is what we are born with. Fear is what we learn. The spiritual journey is the unlearning of fear and prejudices and the acceptance of love back in our hearts. Love is the essential reality and our purpose on earth. To be consciously aware of it, to experience love in ourselves and others, is the meaning of life. Meaning does not lie in things. Meaning lies in us.” 

John Lennon also stated, “There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life.”

When I see people in fear, I can feel compassion for them because I know they dislike or even hate themselves so much, or are in so much emotional or spiritual pain, that the only way they can make themselves feel better is by putting other people down.  This is one reason people bully or gossip...to find fault with others so they don’t have to look at the faults within themselves.  Again, Jesus said, “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?”   I don’t know about you, but I have enough stuff of my own to work on than to spend time criticizing or finding fault with others.  Besides, acting ugly just takes up way too much energy and there are too many more important things to focus on, as well as too many people to help in this life. 

Sometimes people wonder how I can be so ‘happy’ and smiling all the time.  Truth is, I’m not.  I struggle just like everyone else.  I have days where I don’t even want to face the world.  Yet, I also believe in raising people up rather than tearing them down.  Mother Teresa stated, “Spread love everywhere you go.  Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.”   I don’t ever want to be responsible for bringing someone down.  That doesn’t mean I don’t unknowingly hurt someone’s feelings or upset them or that I won’t stand up for myself when needed.  But I always try to let love be my guide…that pure, unconditional, perfect love of Spirit.  When you know that love, when you feel that love, then you can’t help but love yourself, the world, and everyone in it!

We’re awakening!  There’s a ‘Lovelution’ happening and more and more people are learning that love really is the answer!  Namaste!


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper September 26, 2014.
.

2 comments:

Joy Scudder said...

Your loving response is perfect. Those who respond as this minister did are in pain. As a result, all we see is venom and hatred. You look beyond the mask.

Linnet 'innit?' said...

I love the sound of your Lovelution!