Friday, May 16, 2014

Special Angels

For the past several years, I have been substituting in the Putnam County Schools.  My favorite classes are Special Education for what some call ‘special needs’ children.  Of course, I don’t like the term special needs; therefore, I prefer to call them Special Angels, or SpAngels for short, because they really are Special Angels on earth.  At first I didn’t think I could do it as I had never been around SpAngels before.  But right from the get-go when I accepted a position in a Special Ed class, I fell in love. 

Before I got to know so many of these children, my attitude was that something was “wrong” with them because they had a physical and/or mental disability.  I couldn’t have been more…well…wrong.  Now I prefer to say that these children have a very special uniqueness.  Many, if not all, are very intelligent, have their own personalities, and will surprise you when least expected.  They just may not be able to communicate like the rest of us.

My belief is that these children came through the way they were meant to come through.  I know that may be a hard perspective for some and that’s okay.  I believe that these souls chose to have this experience on earth, not only for their own soul’s benefit, but for the benefit of all those to whom they will come in contact.  They came to teach us love, compassion, kindness, and patience.  Just like some of us have different skin colors, hair, and eyes, these children came through appearing different, yet just like the rest of us.  It’s unbelievable how much they have taught me and I so appreciate everything they have given me.  They’ve made me a better human being just for knowing them.

Before I had the honor of knowing these very special children, whenever I saw them in public, I would avoid eye contact or looking at them other than a quick glance.  I think most people do this, not because they’re being rude, but because they wouldn’t know what to say.  We’re not sure how to behave around them or their parents/guardians.  Now I know.  This past holiday season while walking into a store, I encountered a mother with her SpAngel in a wheelchair on her way out after shopping.  Her child was challenged both mentally and physically and was holding a new toy.  I went right up to the child, said a cheerful hello, and spoke to him for a moment just like I would any child even though he couldn’t respond other than his gorgeous smile.  I also acknowledged the mother and told her that her son was beautiful.  The look of gratitude on the mother’s face that someone would even notice her son was priceless and made it well worthwhile.  They both blessed me with their presence.

Many times, we encounter SpAngels of all ages with their parent(s) or caretaker in public places such as a store or restaurant.  Sometimes the SpAngel’s behavior may not be what we think it should be.  They may be talking and we can’t understand them or they may be making noises.  Sometimes, they’re not pleasant to look at because they don’t look like the “norm.”  It’s easy to sit in judgment and some may even think they shouldn’t be out in public.  But how about if we instead look at them through the eyes of love?  How about if we see them the way God/Universe/Spirit sees them?  How about if we respond to them just like we would anyone?  Look them in the eyes and say a cheerful hello.  Find something to say to compliment them.  Have compassion.  They want to be acknowledged and loved just like the rest of us.

Friends, we all come to earth in the bodies we have for whatever reasons.  No matter what we look like or how we act, we are so loved beyond measure just as we are.  If we could only see through the façade of the outer illusions of physicality and see each others’ souls, we would see just how much alike we really are.  The light within all of us comes from the exact same Source.  When we connect to the light of the souls of those around us, we feel so much love for our fellow beings and we realize our oneness.

Eckhart Tolle stated, “You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are!”  This includes all of us.  Thank you, SpAngels, for blessing my life!  I love you and appreciate you!


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper May 16, 2014.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Brad Cullen sez:

God picked a winner to be a co-learner with these Spangel winners.

Thanks Karen Langford for being a vessel to help me stop judging anything and everything and just be open to Your LOVE and GRACE.

Perfect article.

bc