Friday, May 2, 2014

Making a Difference

As I have written in past articles, I love the diversity in our world!  The different races, cultures, religions, and everything else in between.  There is so much to be learned from everyone and I appreciate those lessons.  I also cherish those who have blessed me so much with their uniqueness. 

Personally, I believe that our souls came here to play a role.  There are certain things our souls want to experience for our own cosmic growth.  We don’t always know what someone’s soul came here to experience, including our own, so it’s sometimes hard to except the fact that others aren’t behaving the way we think they should, or that we’re not where we want to be at this moment. 

Yes, we still have choices and the path of our lives is not set in stone.  I use the analogy that we are here making a movie.  Before we came to earth, we wrote the script, we’re the actor and the director, and we invite other actors to participate in our scenes.  But just like in the movies, if a scene isn’t working, we can change it.  We do so when we have learned something earlier than we expected so we can re-write the script to reflect those changes.

I don’t understand why I’m where I am at this point in my life.  I sure never expected that my life would have turned out the way it did.  In my younger years, I had big dreams and I saw my life in a completely different place than I am now.  Those dreams were my human dreams, which can come true when aligned with our soul’s plans, except apparently, my soul had something else in mind.  Looking back in hindsight, though, I can see that if those dreams had come true, I wouldn’t be there person I am today, and I like who I am, though I’m still constantly striving to become more enlightened so that I can be a better human being. 

I never expected to have a breakdown in 1997.  Believe it or not, it was one of the best things to have ever happened to me.  I learned to have so much more love, compassion, understanding, and empathy for my fellow beings, as well as for myself.  It started me on a serious spiritual journey that has helped me to gain more wisdom and insight into mankind and life in general than I would have had otherwise. 

Sometimes I wonder if I’m doing any good on this earth or if I’m making any kind of difference, and I can get pretty down when I think that I’m not.  Then someone will tell me that something I said or did made them feel better, or even changed their life, and it lifts my spirits and makes my soul sing.  When life gets overwhelming, especially when I tend to take on the weight of the world, it is oftentimes hard to remember those moments when I did make a difference in someone’s life.  It’s easier to see all the negativity around us and how the world seems to be falling apart because that’s all we see and hear in the media and on the Internet.  But if you look, there are so many souls out there who are making a wonderful difference in the world!  They’re touching people’s lives because their hearts are so filled with the love of the Universe and they know we’re here to be of service to one another.

That’s one reason I enjoy Facebook.  The majority of my ‘friends’ are from the spiritual community so everyone posts mostly uplifting pictures and information.  Stories of people working for the greater good of all, whether it’s for humans, animals, and/or our wonderful Mother Earth.   Reading or seeing many of these stories has caused me to bawl a river of tears because they have touched me to the core of my being. 

Our diversity can be our strength when we work together, when we find what we have in common, and know that when it comes down to it, it really is all about the love.  We each make the choice as to what kind of difference we are making in the world.  Personally, I prefer to try to plants the seeds of unconditional love, compassion, and kindness.  Gandhi said, “It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.”


Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper May 2, 2014.

No comments: