Saturday, April 19, 2014

Belief In An Afterlife

Over the years I have read many books about near death experiences and the afterlife, and I have just finished reading one of the best out of all of them. It’s titled “The Afterlife of Billy Fingers” written by Annie Kagan.  Billy was Annie’s brother who passed while in his 60’s.  In his life, he experienced drugs, jail time, etc. and died after being hit by a vehicle.  What happens next is absolutely astonishing and inspiring.  Billy begins to speak to his sister from the other realm.  You can believe it or not, but there have been many of us who have had these types of experiences, and to us, they are very real.

I’ve spoken to many people who have told me of their own wondrous experiences when their loved ones (humans and pets) visited them either as a spirit or in their dreams.  There have been many people who have had near-death experiences where they died, had a glimpse of the other side (what some term ‘heaven’), and came back to life to tell about it.  Many say their lives have changed for the better because of these experiences.  They know that unconditional love really is what it’s all about, though that term doesn’t come close to the magnitude of love that is waiting for us.  As humans, we’re limited in our terminology to describe that love, and the word ‘love’ is about as close as we can come to it.

I’ve never been blessed to have seen the other side, but I did have my grandmother come to me before her funeral.  My grandmother and I were soul mates and we had a special bond.  When she passed, I was living in another state and it was several days until I could get home to the funeral.  I was devastated and the grief was overwhelming.  Every night I would fall asleep soaking my pillow with tears.  Then something amazing happened.  I looked up at my ceiling and saw something that looked like white smoke in the shape of a feather floating down towards me and went into my heart.  I immediately knew it was my grandmother and the force of peace and comfort that embraced me was astonishing.  I never cried after that because I knew she was okay and that she was with me.

There have been times when I dreamed of friends and loved ones and the dreams were so real that I knew they had visited me.  Last fall, a dear friend of mine committed suicide.  Later, I dreamed of her and she was so happy, healthy, and vibrant.  I knew she was okay.  Another friend died before Christmas, and not long after, I dreamed that we were dancing and the love I felt from him was incredible.  I found peace in both dreams that helped ease my pain of losing them.

In the book “The Afterlife of Billy Fingers,” Billy passes on so many wonderful messages to help us live a better life here on earth.  I loved this message in particular:  “If people could see each other’s souls, the whole world might shut down.  Think about it.  You’d go into a store to buy something and get hung up for hours marveling at the cashier’s soul.  If you saw the soul of your so-called enemy, you’d probably fall in love with them, and then what?  And if you beheld the soul of someone you already truly loved…the intensity of that experience might incapacitate you for the rest of your life.  You can understand why seeing souls could be a problem on earth.  It would become one big love-in.”

If we really knew how much a part of each other we really were, I think we’d treat each other a whole lot better and there would be so much more love, compassion, and kindness toward our fellow beings.

There are so many beautiful quotes from Billy, some of which are:  “Every single life is valuable in ways you can’t imagine.  Every single life is a gift.”  “Everything you ever need is already inside you.  And who you really are is far beyond your comprehension.”  “The intelligence that gives birth to stars also breathes your breath.”  And, “If there’s one thing worth doing on your planet, it’s discovering self-love.” 

These are the very things I’ve been learning and what I try to teach others who are open to discovering that there is so much more to life than we can imagine.  If you can take your beliefs out of the box, you’d be amazed at the wisdom and knowledge that can be remembered! 

Aberjhani said, “You were born a child of light’s wonderful secret…you return to the beauty you have always been.”

Published in the Cookeville Herald-Citizen newspaper April 18, 2014.






No comments: