Friday, May 17, 2013

Fall In Love With Yourself


Alan Cohen, a well-known author and speaker, stated, “Wouldn't it be powerful if you fell in love with yourself so deeply that you would do just about anything if you knew it would make you happy? This is precisely how much life loves you and wants you to nurture yourself. The deeper you love yourself, the more the universe will affirm your worth. Then you can enjoy a lifelong love affair that brings you the richest fulfillment from inside out.”

But how many of us truly and sincerely love ourselves?  Not just know it; but feel it deeply within the core of our being?  I would dare to say that not many of us do.  Most of us have low-esteem and feelings of low self-worth.  We don’t feel like we’re good enough and that we’ll never measure up.  Our negative self-talk is constant and we beat ourselves up over the most trivial circumstances.  We say things to ourselves that we would never in the world say to someone else. 

But that’s not who we are, friends!  The Bible says that we were made in the image of God!  That doesn’t mean physically.  We are made from the essence of the All That Is!  By not loving and feeling good about ourselves, we are doing our creator a great disservice.  The second greatest commandment Jesus gave us is to “Love your neighbor as yourself.”  We were instructed by Jesus to love ourselves, as well as each other!  What greater way can we honor him than by obeying this commandment in that we learn to love ourselves!

Buddha stated, “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”  I know it’s not easy; trust me, I know.  I work on it every day.  But if we don’t have love for ourselves, how can we have it to give others?  Louise Hay went so far as to say, “There is so much love in your heart that you could heal the planet.”  There is so much more love in the world than hate!  The way to heal the world is to channel that love within into being of service to humankind, as well as to our animals and our planet! 

People are desperate for love!  The problem is that they’re looking for it in all the wrong places!  We think the only way we can love ourselves is if and when someone else loves us.  We have it backwards!  Spirit gave us all the love we will ever need and it is found within each and every one of us.  But if we’re constantly looking for it from outside sources, we never will discover it within. 

While searching the Internet, I came across a wonderful poem by Dan Coppersmith that I would like to share with you.  It’s titled “Hello World!” 

“I am amazing
Incredible me
Celebrating the being
I choose to be

I'm uniquely spectacular
I am one of a kind
Creativity oozes
From my heart and mind

I'm stupendous, tremendous
I stand out from the crowd
I do things
That aren't allowed

I'm inspired, desired
I am wonderfully weird
I am unbridled passion
I am highly revered

I'm outrageous, contagious
I am daring and bold
I am honored and cherished
I'm a treasure to hold

I am gifted, uplifted
I am endlessly blessed
I am sought out
For the skills I possess

I'm delightful, insightful
I am loved and adored
I live a charmed life
I'm renewed and restored

I am grateful, elateful
I am centered and wise
I am wealthy and worthy
I am God in disguise

I declare my brilliance
It won't be denied
the world cries out
For what I provide

I am powerful, masterful
I am focused and clear
Life becomes brighter
Because I am here

I am blazing, amazing
I can't be contained
I'm a glorious, fabulous
Radiant flame

I choose to exude
All this and much more
My wings are spread
Watch me soar!”

(© 2011 Dan Coppersmith, www.spiritwire.com)

How many who read this felt very uncomfortable saying such powerful, uplifting words about ourselves?   Friends, this is how God sees us!  This is who we are!  The only thing that keeps us from thinking it is true, is our beliefs about ourselves, and I’d be willing to bet that many of those beliefs were probably instilled upon us from someone else.  I would like to invite you to read and re-read this poem until it becomes engrained in your brain and these thoughts become second nature.  What a great gift to ourselves!  Learn to love yourself unconditionally because that is who you are!

Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper May 17, 2013.

.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Well said, Karen. Loving ourselves is the beginning of truly loving others.