Saturday, October 20, 2012

Secure in Our Faith


My faith and beliefs have evolved over my lifetime causing them to sometimes change drastically over the years.  Once I learned to open my mind and take my beliefs out of the box, I gained so much more wisdom and knowledge because I was willing to receive whatever messages God (whom I call Spirit) would have for me to receive.  I learned that I could go directly to Spirit as my Source and not have to rely on man (or woman) for my teachings. 

Whenever we rely solely on man for our spiritual and/or religious teachings, we box ourselves in and close ourselves off to the greatest and most wonderful teachings that Spirit would impart to us.  This isn’t to say that man can’t teach us some things here and there.  He can.  The only issue with relying on man is that some men interpret spiritual or religious teachings from his own personal belief system filters causing the lesson to lose its true meaning.  We see this all the time when people take Bible verses out of context or misinterpret them, and then use them for their own personal religious and/or political agendas.

How do we know if a message or teaching is from Spirit or man?  Spirit’s messages are only about unconditional love for all mankind regardless of color, race, religion, politics, sexual preference, or walk of life.  That’s it.  Only unconditional love and oneness.  Man’s message is, many times, steeped in hate, bigotry, separation, and ignorance.  We say that God is Love, but we hear so many messages from people who claim to be speaking for God and those messages are about anything but love.

Personally, I am now so secure in my relationship with Spirit that I don’t feel a need to prove anything to anyone, nor do I need to try to force my beliefs on anyone else. I also don’t need a symbol to prove anything; nor do I need to say or hear a specific greeting around the holidays.  I am secure enough in Spirit’s abundant love that I am happy to share other people’s beliefs and honor their holidays.  I don’t feel threatened by them in the least because I know that God has enough love to go around for everyone.  I know that no one can take away my faith and I have no desire to take any anyone else’s.

Certain religions are complaining that other religions are trying to take over the world, but isn’t that exactly what those who are doing the very complaining are trying to do?  Take over the world with their beliefs?

I love the diversity we have in our world!  I love learning about them and sharing our beliefs with each other in love and peace.  I have friends from all over the world who have differing beliefs and I consider them my brothers and sisters in this experience we call life.  I love them dearly and accept them as they are.

If God is Love as we claim, and we were made in the image of God (and not the other way around), and if we’re going to speak of and for God, then shouldn’t they be only words of love, kindness, compassion, and oneness?

People who speak hateful words or commit hateful acts are only reflecting on themselves and not those they speak against.  Marianne Williamson states, “Love is what we are born with.  Fear is what we learn.  The spiritual journey is the unlearning of fear and prejudices and the acceptance of love back in our hearts.  Love is the essential reality and our purpose on earth.  To be consciously aware of it, to experience love in ourselves and others, is the meaning of life.  Meaning does not lie in things.  Meaning lies in us.”

God has more than enough love to go around.  When we withhold that love for others, we are withholding God’s love, and I have no right to make God anything but that love.

I’ve said it before numerous times and I will say it again.  Jesus made it very clear when he said “Love one another as I have loved you.”  He made no exceptions.  When we can really understand and embrace that statement, as well as live it, then we become secure in our faith and know that unconditional love really is what it’s all about.

“Namaste” is a Sanskrit word used by many, which means “I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.  I honor the place in you, which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace.  When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.”  We honor the Divinity in each other.

Namaste'.

(Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper October 19, 2012.)

.

No comments: