Friday, October 26, 2012

Light vs. Darkness


For those who watch the news and read the newspapers, it would seem like our world is in great peril, and that only death and destruction is occurring the world over.  That’s what the media wants you to believe.  They propagate the negative…hate, bigotry, ignorance, crime, wars, etc.  That’s how they make their money and the more people who watch it, the more they communicate it. 

Personally, I don’t watch the news and don’t read much of newspapers.  Let’s just say, I don’t do negative and I don’t want to feed into that energy if I can help it.  Even though I try to avoid it, some of it still sneaks in and I feel a negativity attack on my being.  I can feel the difference from what I was feeling beforehand.  Then I have to work at shaking it off knowing that the negativity is not the reality that I choose.

I wish there was a news media network that communicated only good news; the good that people do.  And friends, there is a lot of it happening all over the world.  We just don’t hear about it.  There are countless websites that dedicate their news to the good that people are doing. 

One such site I found is the “Carnegie Hero Fund Commission.”  This commission honors people who “risk their lives to an extraordinary degree while saving or attempting to save the lives of others.”

Another site is called “Positive News.”  They “report news from around the world in the areas of sustainability, social equality, education and happiness with a clear message that ‘another world is possible.’”

Another site I like is the “Good News Network.”  Their mission is to “provide a ‘Daily Dose of News to Enthuse.’ The Good News Network® is a clearinghouse for the gathering and dissemination of positive compelling news stories from around the globe. Daily stories will confirm what we already believe: good news itself is not in short supply; the advertising of it is.”

So you see, there is so much good happening all around us and all over the world!  We’re just either not hearing about it, or choosing not to. 

Recently, I read a great spiritual book that is a mixture of truth and fiction.  The story tells how there are two energies at work in the world; Light vs. Darkness.  To be more accurate, we can call these energies Love vs. Fear.  The “fear” energy is full of fear, hate, bigotry, ignorance, discord, violence, separation, war, etc.  The love energy is full of unconditional love, peace, harmony, kindness, compassion, gratitude, caring, oneness, and so on.  Personally, I believe that there is only one energy and that is God energy; it is just we human beings that divide it. 

The story tells how human beings will feed into one or the other energy, and in turn, that energy feeds into people.  But we have a choice.  Once we become aware that we have a choice, we can choose which energy to feed into and which one we allow to feed into us.  I make it a conscious effort to feed into the positive loving light energy.  I don’t always succeed as I can get just as frustrated and angry as the next person.  In fact, I have to work at not judging the judgers, hating the haters, and complaining about the complainers.

How do you know which energy you’re feeding or receiving?  How does it feel?  Trust your inner Spirit or intuition.  We will have that inner knowing, and then it’s up to us which one we choose to feed.  If I’m about to say or do something that is not in love, I feel it within me.  Then I have a choice to either go through with it, or stop it and change it into something more loving.

We don’t have to do something huge to be a hero, to do good, or to feed the energy of love.  Maya Angelou said it best:  “I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people.”  Just treat those around you with love, kindness, and compassion.  Smile.  Commit random acts of kindness.  Jesus said “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” (Matt. 25:40)   And Buddha said “Set your heart on doing good.  Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.  Teach this triple truth to all:  A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.”

We can renew humanity by which energy we choose.  Which will you choose?

(Printed in the Cookeville Herald Citizen newspaper October 26, 2012.)
.

No comments: