Friday, August 3, 2012

Our Thoughts Make Our World


Every once in a while when I’m feeling the most vulnerable, I tend to take on the weight of the world.  I look around me, see all the turmoil, people in so much pain, hungry, sick, and dying, the suffering, and all the negativity, and it weighs me down to the point that it feels hard for me to breathe.

I see all the fighting and arguing, the hate and bigotry, particularly in religion and politics, and it seems like our world is on the brink of destroying itself.  When I am in this negative state of mind, life can become almost unbearable.  It’s easy to lose hope and to think, “Why bother?” 

But I know better.  I know better than to allow my thoughts to go into that deep, unending abyss of darkness.  I can have control of my thoughts.  One of my favorite quotes is “you may not be able to stop a bird from landing on your head, but you can stop it from building a nest.”  We may not be able to keep those dark, negative thoughts from entering our mind, but we can keep them from taking up residence.  We can kick them out and replace them with something good, loving, and positive.

Sometimes I find myself wishing I could just snap my fingers or wave a magic wand and make everyone in the world love one another.  I love to write, and so many times I wish I could find it within me to write that one article that will make a huge difference; the one that will change the world and make everyone love one another.  But so far, I haven’t found the key that will open the hearts and minds of all people the world over.  I know there are millions of people who wish the same thing; people who are doing whatever good they can to try to make a difference and to help make people’s lives a little better, even if it’s only one person at a time. We have a lot of obstacles by way of people who are greedy, selfish, and could care less about their fellow beings here on this wonderful planet called Mother Earth; people who seem more concerned about personal gain than helping our brothers and sisters in the human race (as well as animals and Mother Nature). 

Am I perfect in loving all people?  Far from it.  I have my moments where I get so angry and frustrated with people because of the harm they cause each other or to me.  I certainly have some very “unspiritual moments” of my own.  But again, I know better.  In those moments, Spirit will give me a good talking to and will let me know that is not who I am.   That is not who we are. 

We all have the Divine Spark within each and every one of us; the spark of Divine Love.  Some of us have just buried it deep within our beings for whatever reasons.  Life happens.  Because we don’t always have the tools to cope, we deal with everything in the only way we know how.  We can only do the best we can with what we know at the time.

Even though there seems to be a lot of “bad” in the world, I refuse to do a broad stroke in my thoughts.  In other words, when you say, “All ____________(s) are ___________,” you’re doing a broad stroke, and those statements couldn’t be further from the truth.  To give an example:  All celebrities are drunks, drug addicts, and sleeping with one another.  This statement is not true.  Try playing with this statement and see how you fill in the blanks.  If you can fill them in, then you’re playing with thoughts of judgment and bigotry, and those are dangerous thoughts.

There is so much good in this world and there are a lot of good people all across the spectrum regardless of color, race, religion, sexual preference, politics, or walk of life.  Personally, I look at a person’s heart and I don’t care about their labels or what they call themselves. 

In reading near death experience books, one common theme is that once we cross over, the one question we get asked is “How much did you love?”  That’s what I try to live my life by.  How much did I love?  How many acts of kindness did I commit?  How many smiles did I share?  How many times did I tell people I loved them?  The answers are what will make up our character and our legacy. 

It really is all about the love, my friends.  The pure, unconditional love of Spirit.   And you are so loved.

Copyright 2012
Published in the Herald Citizen newspaper August 3, 2012

No comments: