Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Seeing Through the Eyes of Love


“I see the world through the eyes of love.  Our society is often inundated with news and information that leaves us feeling anxious or unsure about the world we live in.  But I have a choice as to where I focus my attention.  Do I see only trouble, fear and strife?  Or do I see harmony, progress and cooperation?  The way I view the world has a powerful effect on my life.  Today I choose to see the world through the eyes of love.  I choose to see peace instead of conflict, love instead of fear.  I choose to see beyond any situation to the underlying truth of God’s love.  I trust in that love to soften the hearts and minds of all involved.  As I project a positive outlook and expectation of peace to those around me, I become a catalyst for peace in the world.  ‘The earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it.’  Psalm 24:1” (Printed from the Daily Word, a Unity publication.)

There is so much going on in the world today, and if you listen to and/or watch the media, you would think that it was all bad.  In fact, rarely, if ever, do you hear anything good in the news.  And yet, there are so many wonderful things happening all over the world!  People going out of their way to help others.  Heroes risking their lives to help complete strangers.  Countless stories of all the good.  There are even stories of animals that save people’s lives.  (If you want to read a good magazine for optimists that’s full of feel-good stories, get on-line and look up Ode Magazine at http://odewire.com.)

I’ll admit it.  I am an incurable optimist.   I choose to try to see the good in everyone and everything.  If you look for it, it’s always there.  Even in the worst of circumstances.  After 9/11, people came from all over the world to help.  Katrina, tsunamis, earthquakes.  Same thing.  Though the events were horrific, the good that came from them was that it made our world smaller in that people from all colors, races, religions, politics, sexual preferences, etc., came together to help their fellow man.  We were all human beings and that’s all everyone saw.  That’s what I choose to see.  

How do we see the world through the eyes of love?  We see the world through the eyes of God.  God only sees with pure, unconditional, perfect love.  Nothing else.  We see with compassion and kindness in our hearts.  We see knowing that every living being is our brother and sister.  We see the world being at peace.  To take that even further, we become the unconditional love.  We become the compassion and the kindness.  We become the change we wish to see in the world.  The words we speak are only to lift people up and not tear them down.  We become the example that Jesus taught.

The way I choose to see my world is the way I choose to see my life.  Of course, things are not always hunky dory for me.  Sometimes I go through the heavy-duty-life-doo like everyone else.  This past year has not been a fun year for me.  A lot has happened and I’ve shed my share of tears.  But even in the midst of all the turmoil, I chose to count my blessings.   I chose to see the love that I have in my life.  I have a roof over my head, food to eat, a wonderful family, great friends, and good health. 

I would highly suggest that if you are struggling to see the good that is in our world, or even in your own life, that you start a gratitude journal.  Every day, write down your blessings.  Even if you can only start with the basics:  can you see, hear, talk, walk, do you have a roof over your head, food to eat, people to love and who love you?  Then build from there.  Once you start focusing on the good in your life and in your world, your whole perception will change.  Then maybe, just maybe, you can learn to see the world and its people through the eyes of love.  God’s love.  The way it was meant to be.

(Published in the Cookeville Herald Citizen paper on May 18, 2012.)

.

No comments: