Saturday, November 28, 2009

Nasty Computer Virus

I received an interesting "gift" for Thanksgiving! I got a really nasty virus on my computer, and I believe I got it right after clicking on a "friend" in Blogspot. Somehow, "Antivirus System Pro" (company is Magic Software, Inc.) got downloaded onto my computer, and it won't let you do ANYthing without buying their program. I even had McAfee on my computer. It took some work, but I was able to trick McAfee to come up and ran a scan. Even though the ASP was saying everything was infected, McAfee didn't pick up any viruses; including the ASP.

I called our internet provider and it took over two hours to finally get it off. This virus gets around your antivirus program and completely locks up your computer. I know of two other people who had this. One person had to wipe his whole hard drive to get it off. Fortunately, I did not have to do it. The tech said that hackers will get into people's programs and attach the virus, so they may not even know they're the ones doing the infecting.

Therefore, I would highly suggest that everyone download a program such as Malwarebytes at http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php. Then run a scan. Don't just trust your antivirus program. This virus shut mine down.

So, what's the good that came of this? The spiritual side? The tech was able to get it off without having to wipe my hard drive. Looking at it metaphysically, I had my health. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, a warm bed to sleep in, friends, and family. So, I really didn't have anything to complain about and was able to keep a good attitude. Events such as this makes us learn to keep things in perspective. It wasn't cancer. No one died. So, it was really all good.

Wishing everyone a great holiday season no matter what your faith or beliefs! It's all one big holiday!

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have the best anti-virus program. Two and a half years and nothing has gotten to my computer; not even the dreaded conficker worm that was going around in early 2010.