Sunday, January 25, 2009

Worrier or Warrior?

Sharon Warren, author of “Magnetizing Your Heart’s Desires,” sent me an email with that quote, and I fell in love with it (if you can fall in love with a quote; grin).

It’s hard not to notice the national and global transformation that is taking place at this time in history. People are going through just the most awful “stuff.” I call it “heavy-duty-life-doo.” Many have lost their jobs, their homes, insurance, and who knows what else. It’s a pretty scary time for many of us.

Which brings me to the quote. Are you a worrier, or are you a warrior? Personally, I’m not a worrier, but I’m still working on becoming a warrior. (I wonder if there’s an in-between? Grin.) I just refuse to worry about anything that I have no control over, and most of what is going on in this country and the world, I cannot control. In the movie “Billy Jack,” Billy stated, “What’s going to happen is going to happen, and all the worrying in the world isn’t going to change a thing.” That was back in 1971 when I first heard that quote, and I have tried to live by it since then.

Is it easy? Not always. Even I have my moments. Ask yourself, “Do I have any control over this situation?” “Will I do myself or anyone around me any good by worrying?” You can only control what you can control and nothing more. What we can control, though, is our attitude and the thoughts that go through our mind. Again, it’s not easy, but it can be done. There is another quote I heard many years ago and it says, “You cannot stop a bird from landing on your head, but you can stop it from building a nest.” In other words, those negative/fear thoughts will still pop into your head (as well as mine), but it’s under your control whether or not you let those thoughts build a nest. Or you can shoo those negative thoughts away and replace them with something positive.

There are people who get upset with me because I just do not worry. I’ve finally come to the belief that everything happens for a reason, and that everything is as it should be. It comes to accepting what is. That doesn’t mean that we have to resign ourselves or give up on what is. You’d be surprised what just changing your attitude can do for your outlook on life.

Louise Hay, one of the founders of the self-help movement and author of “Heal Your Body,” always says, “All is well.” I’ve taken that as one of my mantras. All is well even when it appears that it isn’t.

Worry is an offshoot of fear. Right now, a lot of people are living in fear, but it’s mostly fear of the unknown. This is where faith comes in. According to Wikipedia, the word “faith” means “the confident belief in the truth…of a person, idea, or thing.” The informal meaning of the word has many usages, but can be used “in place of trust, belief, or hope.”

It also comes down to the power of our thoughts, and when faith replaces the fear, our positive thought power can bring the miraculous, especially when joined with the collective consciousness of all those who are believing in a positive outcome.

We live in exciting times right now, and it is the responsibility of each of us as individuals to take control of our thoughts and to have faith that all is well. Everything is going to work out for our highest good. Yes, I know it’s difficult to have optimistic attitudes when we seem to be going through our heavy-duty-life-doo. Trust me, I know. But it can be done. It takes work and practice, but I promise you, if you do the work, you will see less fear in your life. You may even start to attract the good things. Metaphysically, if we expect the worst, that’s usually what we’re going to get. And if we expect the best, we may even get that also. (I say “may” because many of us have some deep subconscious things going on that we are not even aware of on a conscious level, but even those can be brought to light if you do the work.)

There are many books written to help us to learn to let go of the fear and live a positive, optimistic life, and I would highly recommend reading them. (A few websites are listed in the right-hand column under Favorite Spiritual Websites.) Bombard your brain with positive writings until you can re-program your mind for the better.

Hang in there, my friends. A quote I came up with years ago is, “Life is beautiful, life is good, life is what you believe it to be.” Find the warrior within.

.

No comments: