Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

If you look up the true history of Thanksgiving, it was nothing like it is celebrated today (pilgrims, Indians, feast, etc.). Regardless of the history or what truly happened, Thanksgiving is a time to remind us to give thanks. Granted, we should be giving thanks every day of our lives, but so many of us forget to do so....until the day of Thanksgiving.

With the national and world crisis that we are in today, giving thanks takes on a whole new meaning. So many of us may wonder what do we have to be thankful for? Sometimes we have to start with the very basics. Can we see, hear, walk, talk, breathe, do we have a roof over our head, food to eat, clothes to wear, do we have a job, a family, pets..... We can start with the basics and build from there.

With my own unemployment situation, I am very thankful that I had my parents to help me. I have roof over my head, a warm bed to sleep in, a car that runs well, friends, my health, I've been able to keep my bills paid because of the unemployment that I did receive and the money that I have in savings, and so much more. I really have nothing to complain about. There are many, many people who are a whole lot less fortunate than I am. I also live in a country that offers me many opportunities to build the life of my dreams if I so choose. Pursuing my motivational speaking career gives me something to look forward to and to know that all is not lost.

Yes, I can get to thinking too hard on what I "don't have" and get pretty down and feeling sorry for myself. I'm like everyone else. But I also have learned how important it is to count my blessings and I have many (even if I have to start with the basics and build from there).

So, on this Thanksgiving, I would invite you to count the blessings that you do have and be grateful for how many you have, if nothing else except to be above ground. There is hope for the future. For all of us.

I wish you a life of love, peace, happiness, and prosperity now and always.

No comments: