Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Midnight Dream - Part I

Greetings!

As I mentioned in my last blog, I had a dream. A dream that drastically changed the way I "judged" people. Or I should say, learned NOT to judge people. Oh, I still have my moments of judging, but my little spirit voice will give me a talking to in order to snap me right out of it. Ouch.

Back in 1989, when I was in "not believing in anything" mode, I had a dream. It actually happened on Christmas Eve. I originally called it "The Christmas Eve" dream, but changed it to "The Midnight Dream" to make it apply to all year round.

At the time, I didn't understand what it meant, and thank goodness, I remembered every detail to write it down, and put it away to save. Then in 1992 after I moved to Nashville, I began attending the Unity and Religious Science churches. I have to admit that at first, I would have to force myself to stay in my seat. I would literally have panic attacks being in a church again. Sometimes I would even sit on my hands to keep from running out the back door. But after the service was over, all you saw was a blur racing to get out of there.

After I became more comfortable in this New Thought and New Thinking frame of mind, I would have discussions with like-minded friends. It was then that I remembered "The Dream." Surprisingly, I was able to find it, pulled it out, and made copies for friends, who made copies for friends, who made copies for friends.....

It is here that I would like to share it with you just in case it might affect anyone the way it affected me and so many others. I know in my heart that it was a gift that was given to me and I was only the channel. But if you should feel the desire to share it with anyone, please make sure that I get the credit (along with the Universe, of course), as it is copyrighted. Okay, I guess that blows my pen-name cover (Kalina), but that's okay.

I do want to make it very clear so that there are no misunderstandings. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions and choices; especially if they hurt someone or something. But I'm always curious as to why they made those choices. What happened to them in their lives to make them do what they did? There's always a bigger picture. Anthony Robbins once said in one of his books: "You never know a person's state-of-mind." I never have forgotten that. So here, my friends, is "The Dream." Since it is long, I am going to include it in two or three parts.


THE MIDNIGHT DREAM

by Karen Langford
Copyright 1989

It happened one evening in the year 1989. It is an experience I will never forget, and I will never be the same because of it.

It began with me standing in the door of a bar. The bar was run down and dirty, and the inhabitants blended with the atmosphere. Every person in the room appeared to be drunk. Even though I was not told, I sensed what each did for a living. There were doctors, lawyers, business executives, factory workers, cooks, maids, secretaries, actors, Vietnam Vets, housewives....

No one spoke. People just stood or sat around in a sad stupor. All were dressed in their work clothes, but they looked like they were either up all night or had just gotten out of bed. Clothes were rumpled, hair mussed up, make-up smeared, men had stubble on their faces. No one moved.

I waited for a moment to see what, if anything, was going to take place, but nothing did. I felt very uncomfortable and wanted to leave, but when I turned to open the door, it was gone! There was no way out! I began to get frightened! What was I doing there with all those drunks? I didn’t belong there! I wanted to leave, wake up, anything, but be where I was!

Suddenly, a man at the end of the bar caught my eye. As I stared at him, he slowly turned to meet my gaze. His eyes were so sorrowful and empty. I somehow knew he was a young doctor about the age of 33, and he may have been a very attractive man at one time. His blonde hair was mussed and fell over his eyes, and he hadn’t shaved for several days. He sat slumped over the bar with a glass of liquor in his hands.

Then it began happening. Without wanting it, I began seeing into his past and to know all about him. He came from a long line of successful doctors. His father was a well-known physician who worked at all the major hospitals in the area, and he did quite a bit of traveling giving lectures to various groups. His mother was a successful obstetrician at one of the local hospitals. Both had high expectations of their son and expected him to take his place in high society.

There was one problem though. The son didn’t care about money or being a part of high society. He cared about the poor and the less fortunate; those who couldn’t afford food to feed their families, let alone medical care. He wanted to start a clinic in a poor section of town so he could give those people the quality care they so desperately needed.

Of course, his family had a fit over this crazy idea of his and would hear none of it. Every time he would try to get the clinic started, his parents would use their influence and put obstacles before him. They just kept pushing and pushing for him to be what they considered was a success and to make a lot of money. Finally, he could take it no longer and he broke. He turned to alcohol to help him forget his dreams, to ease the pain he felt for others, and maybe in a way, to get back at his parents.

Most of the others in the bar had basically the same, but different stories. Things happened to them in their lives that they were not prepared to handle. An executive lost his job because of his age and couldn’t find another job. A lawyer handled a client whom he knew was innocent, but because of powerful politicians, he couldn’t get his client’s name cleared; nor his. A housewife was constantly being beaten by her husband and her children were sexually abused. A secretary was sexually harassed by her boss and eventually raped by him. She couldn’t say anything about it, as her boss was well respected in the company and in the community, and there was no way anyone would believe her.

I began to feel really sorry for these people. Not only sorry, but angered that this was even happening to them. I didn’t know what to do about it. Before I could say or do anything, the door appeared and I was being led out of the bar. I wasn’t being led by a person that I could see, but more of a Force. On one hand, I didn’t want to leave; but then again, I didn’t want to have to see these people’s pain any longer. I hoped I was being returned to my warm, comfortable bed so I could get on with a good night’s rest. But there was more.

The next thing I knew, I was flying over a huge city of twinkling lights. It was one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen. I thought that maybe I was going to start having some nice dreams to finish off the night. Before I could complete that thought, we started descending downwards. My heart began to beat faster anticipating where my dream would lead me next. I would soon find out.


Part II will be coming soon.

1 comment:

210design said...

Very cool dram. Thank you for sharing your love and insights! JRM